Tuesday, October 7, 2008

General Conference

I am so grateful for parents who instilled a love of general conference in me. It is always so neat to hear the leaders of our church teaching and testifying of our Savior. I have never met President Monson or even seen him in person, but I know just from watching him on my tv that he is our Prophet. That he was called by our Heavenly Father to lead us. It's amazing to me the feelings of love and reverence I have for him. I felt like he was talking to me when he spoke about having "joy in the journey". Lately I feel like I'm just hanging on, surviving maybe... but definitely not feeling joy at the same time. It really made me reflect on what I have set as my top prioirity (a clean house) and what I really need to have at the top! President Monson mentioned that there may be toys scattered all over the floor and laundry piling over, but those years will go by way to fast. So today I'm making a pledge to myself to not worry so much about the beds unmade, the dirty unorganized cupboards, the never ending laundry and focusing more on enjoying my three precious children who want nothing more but to feel my love. I'm going to put down my scrub brush more often and read a book, play a game, or color. That can't be to hard, right?!? It isn't so thats what I'm going to do starting today! JOY IN THE JOURNEY!!

7 comments:

Margo said...

I think everyone probably felt like that message was for them. I am glad he talked about that, he really put things into perspective. I think I caught in the day to day routine and start feeling cranky about school and work, but I know I will look back and see how easy I had it. Good post!

Jennifer said...

I love your post.. He's so right though. It's not about a clean house. My house is a disaster, so that makes me feel better.. :) Well i'm game on helping you with your house. Just tell me when.. That would seriously be so fun..

BlairsTown said...

I'm with you sis! We all need to get down and play with our children more, especially me!!

ALLRED FAMILY said...

That was one of my favorites too!! Especially the part where he talked about the tiny fingerprints being gone all too soon. Didn't you just want to scoop up your kids and smother them with kisses? I think that was a talk for all mothers. And I can totally relate to the barely surviving feeling. But I'm with you...gotta find the joy!

lofgreenlegacy said...

Great post! I too have a really hard time letting my house go. I feel like everytime the kids ask to play a game or something i say, "just a sec, let me vacuum" or something silly. And your right time goes by way to fast...

Sara C. said...

Took the words right out of my mouth! I so agree. But, sadly my house is a disaster, and I still feel like I have no time! Oh well. I am trying to enjoy this journey as well. It is nice to hear that others are too!

Camille said...

I loved that talk too. I start feeling down in the dumps every couple of months so a talk like that is really what i needed. The time does go by too fast. They grow up too quick and then what?!?