Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's midnight and I can't sleep. This happens alot since my mom passed away. I settle down for the night only to find my mind thinking, remembering, crying. Someone told me that the best way to grieve was to talk about it, so here i am blogging cause everyones alseep. Why is it that my mind only wants to remember the last three months? She was an amazing mother, an amazing woman of faith, a hardworker. A person I want to become like. But all my mind wants to think about was the sickness, the sadness, the goodbye's. These past three months have been the hardest, most amazing months of my life. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I'm just writing what I think. It was so hard to see my mom so sick. She wasn't able to do anything for herself. We had to remind her sometimes how to suck out of a straw. It was heartbreaking. But the vail was so thin in that little living room that you didn't want to leave. Being able to help take care of my mom that last month was something I will cherish the rest of my life. It seems so minut compared to all she did for me. She didn't make sense alot of the time when she would talk to us. Sometimes she would call for me. For a couple of days I was her comfort. Me and my sisters would take turns sleeping in the living room with her. I happened to be sleeping in the bedroom the night she told my sisters "kuliana is comfort". Why was I comfort to her? Was it because I was her baby? Was she mixed up and meant that she wanted to comfort me? I don't know... I like to think that maybe I was so good that she found comfort in me, but we all know that Lehua was the good one! That's one thing I'm going to ask her when I see her again. To see her again... it's true I will see her again and it will be a joyous reunion. I wonder what she's doing. I picture her with a list of "things to do". I'm sure she already has most of the things checked off. She was so ready to leave and get busy. She kept telling us that she had stuff do and that she needed to get going. I imagine her singing in the most amazing heavenly choir... no i take that back, she is for sure directing that choir! She loved music. I found a journal of hers that she had typed and printed for all us kids. It covered most of me and my siblings infant and toddler years. She and my aunt leaora always had some big production going on that I wish I could have witnessed, but I was either not born, or just a baby. One of her entry's she confessed to having someone else nurse me because she was in the middle of a huge choir program of some sort and couldn't feed me. Gross, I know! But I forgive her! You know whats the weirdest is thinking back to last october. I was down for the fair weekend and we all went to the parade. We hung out never suspecting what was just around the corner. I wish I had more pictures of her with my kids. I wish my kids could have taken piano lessons from her. I wish I'd learned how to can things with her. I wish, i wish, i wish..... The list could go on and on. I never thought losing a loved one was so stinkin hard. I couldn't imagine if it was my spouse. My poor dad! If I feel this way then he feels a hundred times worse. Robert is pretty onry with him lately. But how else is he supposed to deal with it. I imagine that's how a 5/6 year old would deal with losing his mom. No one understood him like my mom. And now she's gone and none of us can take her spot. Poor guy. He has such simple faith and understands more then the rest of us. He humbles us. My mom never once complained of the pain she was in. She told us that she would be strong for the grandchildren. She stayed true to her word. Even towards the end when she couldn't say much and we didn't understand her she always brightened up for the grandkids. She smiled at them and many times told them she loved them. Sweet little Kylee even got kisses from grandma. There was so many sweet, tender mercies witnessed that last month. To sacred and special for me to say, but to important for me to forget. I'll have to write them down so I never forget. Life is short people. Enjoy every little thing, every little detail, everything. What a wonderful Father in Heaven to make such a beautiful plan. A plan that makes it possible for us to be together forever. A plan so perfectly thought out. A plan that helps me want to live better. It's time for me to try to go to bed. I have to be a mother in the morning. So until next time when I can't sleep...

10 comments:

The Swyers Family said...

Your mom is one of the greatest examples in my life. She is truly amazing. I'm up all night long so if you ever need or want to talk give me a call. Cole still doesn't sleep through the night and Wyatt is either eating every two hours or getting his diaper changed every hour so I'm up all night long. Also send me an e-mail at sswyers@live.com and I'll add you to my blog. Love ya, Sundee

The Cash Family said...

Oh Kuli, I love you! I was up late last night too. I feel like my mind races when I lay down, I thought I was the only one! I love the part about how you forgive your mom for letting someone else nurse you, too cute!

Desiree said...

Now I'm wondering who it was that nursed you. I don't think my mom was nursing at that time. :)

This is such a heart felt post. Thank you for sharing your love for your mom. She is an amazing woman who left a deep impression on many people.

Camille said...

Kuli-Ahh. I cannot imagine how you feel but i am glad that you wrote what your wrote. It is always a good reminder to love and live every moment in life that you can becuase it can be gone sooner than you think. I am also glad that there is such a perfect plan to live with our families again. Thats awesome that your mom kept a journal that you guys can look back on and read and enjoy. Nursing comment was really funny.

Sara said...

Really enjoyed your post. I'm sorry that it hurts so much and there are so many "i wish"es. Thanks for sharing though, so the rest of us can try to remember to live in the moment and really appreciate and enjoy everyone that is close to us! I don't know how people without the gospel get through these kinds of things...

Ali said...

That is so sweet i bet your mom looks down with such gratitude for the wonderful family that she has. You are so amazing and I am blessed to have you in my life. I love you so much.

The Halls said...

I loved reading your blog. I know this time has been tough for you and I never know just what to do or say, but we have sure thought about you and the hard time your family is going through. I think it's great you can talk about it, I think that will help. The gosple is a powerful tool to help us get through times like these. She is probably so proud of you and the things you are accomplishing. Hang in there. She will always be with you.

Joy said...

Hey it was good to meet you guys tonight. Give us a call sometime, we should all hang out. The kids had a lot of fun. 792-8481. Tad

lofgreenlegacy said...

I didn't know your mom but I think of your family often! Especially now that Dave's mom has cancer. It doesn't seem real. My heart aches for you. All of the questions you have about what your mom is doing and how she is, are the exact questions I still have about my sister, and it's been 8 years. I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know what it's like to lose my mom, but I have lost a loved one and it's just rotten! I am so grateful for eternal families! Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Sara C. said...

Well, that left me in tears. I hope that with time things get easier. Thanks for sharing your profound and beautiful (and late night) thoughts.